Wednesday 13 May 2015

Illicit Amusement

I beg to report that a public concert was held on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturdary evenings at the ‘Australasian and New Zealander’ Public House, No.429 Oxford St. landlord James Kibble and that 3d each was chaged for admission.
At 8 ¾ the 25th inst I visited the house in plain clothes. I paid 3d to Mr Kibble at the Bar and received a piece of card on which was written the word ‘Refreshment’. I showed the ticket to a man standing at the stairs leading to the Concert Room, and was allowed to pass. In the room I found abut 30 persons most of them youths and girls. Some of the latter appeared to be about 14 old. A man was playing a piano and a professional chairman presided. He announced that he would open the Concert by singing the first song himself. He afterwards announced the singers who followed him by name, but they all appeared to be visitors, each person that sang left his seat and went and stood on a small platform near the piano. I saw several of the persons get ale or beer or their tickets. There were about 60 persons in the room when  I left at 10pm.


The house is not licensed for music. Mr. Kebble has applied for a Music licence and the application will be heard at the ensuing licensing meeting.

Police report to Middlesex Magistrates, 26 September 1869

No comments:

Post a Comment